ⓘ Hendrik Lorentz
Hendrik Antoon Lorentz was a Dutch physicist. In 1902, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics together with Pieter Zeeman for the discovery and theoretical explanation of the Zeeman effect. He also derived the transformation equations that were later used by Albert Einstein to describe space and time.
Hendrik Lorentz was born in Arnhem, Gelderland The Netherlands, the son of Gerrit Frederik Lorentz 1822–1893. In 1862, after his mothers death, his father married Luberta Hupkes.
Lorentz and special relativity
In 1905, Einstein would use many of the concepts to write his paper entitled "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies", known today as the theory of special relativity. Because Lorentz laid the fundamentals for the work by Einstein, this theory was originally called the Lorentz-Einstein theory.
Lorentz and general relativity
Lorentz was one of few scientists who supported Einsteins search for general relativity from the beginning – he wrote several research papers and discussed with Einstein personally and by letter. For instance, he attempted to combine Einsteins formalism with Hamiltons principle 1915.
In January 1928, Lorentz became seriously ill, and died shortly after on February 4.
- Lorentz s law is a law discovered by the Dutch physicist Hendrik Antoon Lorentz Lorentz s law defines force that acts on moving charged particles in an
- the Russian Empire March 30 Vincent van Gogh, painter July 18 Hendrik Lorentz Dutch physicist and mathematician March 30 Abigail Fillmore, wife
- In mathematics, the Cauchy - Lorentz distribution after Augustin - Louis Cauchy and Hendrik Lorentz is a continuous probability distribution with two parameters:
- In 1902, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics together with Hendrik Lorentz for the discovery and theoretical explanation of the Zeeman effect
- actor died 2013 December 30 Bo Diddley, American rock and roll musician died 2008 February 4 Hendrik Lorentz Dutch physicist and mathematician
- hero d. 1873 1848 W. G. Grace, English cricketer d. 1915 1853 Hendrik Lorentz Dutch physicist d. 1928 1862 Nikolai Yudenich, Russian general
- 1814 1905 Louis - Ernest Barrias, French sculptor born 1841 1928 Hendrik Lorentz Dutch physicist and Nobel laureate born 1853 1928 - Manche Masemola
- 1831 1879 J. Willard Gibbs 1839 1903 Ludwig Boltzmann 1844 1906 Hendrik A. Lorentz 1853 1928 Henri Poincare 1854 1912 Nikola Tesla 1856 1943 Max
- Schopenhauer Baruch Spinoza Bernhard Riemann David Hume Ernst Mach Hendrik Lorentz Hermann Minkowski Isaac Newton James Clerk Maxwell Michele Besso Moritz
- discovery of the remarkable rays subsequently named after him 1902 Hendrik Lorentz Netherlands in recognition of the extraordinary service they rendered