ⓘ Alberto Hurtado
Saint Alberto Hurtado Cruchaga, S.J. was a Jesuit priest who was canonized on October 23, 2005, by Pope Benedict XVI.
He was born Luis Alberto Hurtado Cruchaga on January 22, 1901, in Viña del Mar, Chile. He was of Basque origin.
Along with being a Jesuit priest, he was also a lawyer, social worker, and writer. He founded the Hogar de Cristo Foundation. In Chile, he was popularly known as Padre Hurtado which means "Father Hurtado" in Spanish.
He died from cancer on August 18, 1952 in Santiago, Chile. In 2005, Pope Benedict XVI canonized him.
1. Early life and education
Albertos father died when he was four years old. After this, his mother had to sell, at a loss, their modest property in order to pay the family’s debts. Because the family was so poor, Alberto and his brother had to go to live with relatives and were often moved from one family member to another.
However, Alberto got a scholarship that allowed him to study at the famous all-boys Jesuit school of St. Ignacio, Santiago. He studied there from 1909 to 1917. At the parish and school, Hurtado assisted in the office and was librarian. During this time, he also volunteered at the Parroquia Nuestra Señora de Andacollo, a Catholic parish and school in a poor neighborhood of Santiago.
Fernando Vives, a teacher at the St. Ignacio school, was one of the most important people in Hurtados life. Even during Vives exile in Spain 1918–1935, they stayed in contact with each other. Vives was a great influence on Hurtado.
2. Law school and military service
From 1918 to 1923, Hurtado attended the Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile. He studied in its law school and wrote his thesis on labour law. He had to interrupt his education because he was required to serve in the military. However, he was able to go back to school afterward, and earned his degree early in August 1923.
3. Priesthood and studies
Rather than starting a career in law, Hurtado entered the Jesuit novitiate in 1923.
In 1925, he went to Cordoba, Argentina, where he studied humanities.
In 1927 he was sent to Barcelona, Spain, to study philosophy and theology, but because of the suppression of the Jesuits in Spain in 1931, he went on to Belgium and continued his studies in theology at Louvain. He was ordained a priest there on 24 August 1933, and in 1935 obtained a doctorate in pedagogy and psychology.
- Angelica Rivera Hurtado born August 2, 1969 is a Mexican telenovela actress and the former First Lady of Mexico. She is the wife of the President of
- from Argentina Lucio Gutierrez, Jamil Mahuad y Osvaldo Hurtado from Ecuador y Luis Alberto Lacalle y Julio Maria Sanguinetti, from Uruguay Jorge Tuto
- b. 1897 1950 - Julien Lahaut, Belgian politician b. 1884 1952 - Alberto Hurtado Chilean priest, lawyer, writer and saint b. 1901 1963 - Clifford
- Jaime Roldos Aguilera August 10, 1979 May 24, 1981 President 45 Osvaldo Hurtado May 24, 1981 August 10, 1984 President 46 Leon Febres Cordero August 10
- &&&&&044, 640 &&&&&&&&&&325713.&&&&&0325, 713 1991 10 Cauca Oscar Rodrigo Campo Hurtado Liberal Popayan &&&&&&&&&&&29308.&&&&&029, 308 &&&&&&&&&1363054.&&&&&01
- Position vacant 1972 1979 Osvaldo Hurtado 1979 1981 Jaime Roldos Aguilera Leon Roldos Aguilera 1981 1984 Osvaldo Hurtado Blasco Peñaherrera 1984 1988 Leon