ⓘ Jorge Luis Borges
Jorge Luis Borges was an Argentine writer. He was best known in the English-speaking world for his short stories and fictive essays. Borges was also a poet, critic, translator and man of wisdom.
He was influenced by authors such as Dante Alighieri, Miguel de Cervantes, Franz Kafka, H.G. Wells, Rudyard Kipling, Arthur Schopenhauer and G. K. Chesterton.
- "The earth we inhabit is an error, an incompetent parody. Mirrors and paternity are abominable because they multiply and affirm it." -
- "The central fact of my life has been the existence of words and the possibility of weaving those words into poetry."
- "I do not write for a select minority, which means nothing to me, nor for that adulated platonic entity known as The Masses. Both abstractions, so dear to the demagogue, I disbelieve in. I write for myself and for my friends, and I write to ease the passing of time." - Introduction to The Book of Sand
- "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
2. Other websites
- The Borgesian Cyclopaedia. "Being a Virtual Reference to the World of Jorge Luis Borges".
- Fundacion San Telmos Jorge Luis Borges Collection
- Borges Center, University of Iowa Archived 2006-08-30 at the Wayback Machine: important internet resources including bibliographies, chronologies, full text articles and books, and information on the journal Variaciones Borges
- The Norton Lectures, delivered at Harvard University in the fall of 1967, by Jorge Luis Borges
- Hallucinating Spaces, or the Aleph Archived 2006-07-14 at the Wayback Machine An essay from Borgesland by Susana Medina
- "El Tango" Archived 2010-03-24 at the Wayback Machine on audio MP3 in Spanish
- BBC Radio 4: In Our Time Archive page for edition about Borges in a series on the History of Ideas. Includes link to streaming audio.
- Poem of Jorge Luis Borges in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Fundacion mitica de Buenos Aires Archived 2011-01-23 at the Wayback Machine
- The Friends of Jorge Luis Borges Worldwide Society & Associates Archived 2006-02-14 at the Wayback Machine A non-Governmental and not for profit organization with four distinctive entities that aim to promote artistic and intellectual talents along with civic virtues in new generations of mankind. Borges works "a writer of writers" for his extensive and insightful readings are celebrated as a thread of Ariadne to walk the labyrinths of Philosophy and Literature and all fields of knowledge in quest of wisdom.
- Rendering L.C.: Susan Daitch Meets Borges & Borges, Delacroix, Marx, Derrida, Daumier, and Other Textualized Bodies William A. Nericcio 1993; pdf full-text
- The Modern Word: The Garden of Forking Paths. A comprehensive Web site dedicated to exploring Borges and his work, including pages that discuss writers that Borges influenced.
- Internetaleph. Fully bilingual English/Spanish portal dedicated to Jorge Luis Borges. Links, recent news, reading suggestions and an introduction for beginners.
- Borges Bad Politics Slate.com presents an essay by Clive James arguing that Borges could have done more to engage with Argentinas political situation
- Sueños de milongueros in 2009, a musical written in homage to authors Jorge Luis Borges and Alejandro Dolina, and cartoonist satirist Roberto Fontanarrosa
- are written in sentences and paragraphs. The lines do not rhyme. Jorge Luis Borges Everything and Nothing Pablo Neruda Passions and Impressions
- the Nobel Prize in Literature. One of the most famous writers in Jorge Luis Borges He wrote philosophical fiction. Julio Cortazar wrote a tender novel
- Palisade poetry James K. Baxter The Book of Imaginary Beings Jorge Luis Borges Book of Naturalists Charles William Beebe The Case of Mrs. Wingate
- Concierto en el Philharmonic Hall de New York Quinteto, 1965 El Tango. Jorge Luis Borges Astor Piazzolla Orquesta and Quinteto, 1965 La Guardia Vieja 1966
- street and publish their work in the Martin Fierro magazine, like Jorge Luis Borges Leopoldo Marechal, Antonio Berni artist among others, versus the
- Francis likes to read books by authors such as Friedrich Holderlin, Jorge Luis Borges or Fyodor Dostoevsky. He likes to watch movies of Italian neorealism
- SBS Cup International Youth Soccer Runner - up 1 2012 Luis Figo Rui Costa Fernando Couto Jorge Costa João Vieira Pinto Paulo Alves Paulo Sousa Nuno Capucho
- Underground U2 Walt Disney Will Ferrell Albert Camus Anton Chekhov Jorge Luis Borges Samuel Beckett Noam Chomsky Charles Bukowski Cid Corman E. E. Cummings
- Ruben Dario, and the poetics of despair Alberto Acereda., 2004 Dario, Borges Neruda and the ancient quarrel between poets and philosophers Jason Wilson
- Hearts and Coronets Samson and Delilah The Third Man The Aleph Jorge Luis Borges Alien Land Willard W. Savoy The Angry Wife Pearl S. Buck Beneath
- May 9 Tenzing Norgay, Nepalese mountain guide b. 1914 June 14 Jorge Luis Borges Argentine writer b. 1899 August 31 Urho Kekkonen, President of