ⓘ Vale of Leven Academy
The school opened in 1884, as North Public School. It became a secondary school in 1909. In 1962 it moved to its current location. The school is located in the south of Alexandria.
A new extension to the building was built in 1973 because the school was overcrowded.
In 1996 the school was used for scenes in a Scottish television show called Take the High Road.
On Saturday, 22nd June 2002, the extension to the school was set on fire and was destroyed. Classes were taught in temporary huts after the fire.
A new building was constructed in 2009 and the original building was demolished.
A bomb was brought in by a pupil in 2011 as part of a history project. The school was evacuated. The Royal Naval Bomb Disposal Squad removed the bomb and it was safely blown up.
In September 2018, the school was evacuated because of a fire started by a pupil in the toilets. There was not a lot of damage and the school reopened the next day.
1. Head Teachers
Head teachers include:
- Alex Rannie c. 1965-74
- Angus McDonald
- Tom Murray 1974 - c. 1980
- Terry Lanagan
- Catriona Robertson 2009-16
- Duncan Penny
- Matthew Boyle 2017 - present
- Paul Darroch 2016-17
2. Notable Students
- Sharleen Spiteri - Lead singer of band, Texas
- Ian McColl - Footballer
- Peter Haining - Rower
- Lynn Faulds Wood - TV Presenter
- Bobby Kerr - Footballer
- Kelly Ann Woodland - STV News Presenter
- David Currie - TV Presenter
- Stuart David - co-founder of the bands Belle and Sebastian and Looper