Back

ⓘ Siegen-Wittgenstein. In 1816 – 17 the two districts of Siegen and Wittgenstein were made as parts of the Prussian province of Westphalia. In 1974 the two distri ..




Siegen-Wittgenstein
                                     

ⓘ Siegen-Wittgenstein

In 1816 – 17 the two districts of Siegen and Wittgenstein were made as parts of the Prussian province of Westphalia. In 1974 the two districts were merged, and in 1984 the district changed its name to Siegen-Wittgenstein.

                                     

1. Coat of arms

On the coat of arms, the two upper sections show, to the right, the arms of the Dukes of Nassau, who founded Siegen, and to the left, those of the Counts of Sayn-Wittgenstein. At the bottom a miners lamp and a coppicing hook are pictured, to remember the mining and charcoal-burning history of the district.