The title of Archduke is a rank above Duke and under King. It is very rare. It was used only by males of the House of Habsburg.
1. Ruler style
The English word is recorded only since 1530, derived from Middle Latin archidux, from archi- primary or chief + dux duke.
Archduke Erzherzog is a title distinct from Grand Duke GroSherzog or GroSfurst that is used in some other German royal houses and still in sovereign Luxemburg.
2. Famous archdukes and duchesses
- Empress Maria Theresa. Was Archduchess of Austria ect,
- Archduchess Maria Antonia of Austria better known as "Marie Antoinette" was a daughter of the above and wife of Louis XVI of France
- Maria Teresa of Austria wife of Louis XIV of France. known as "Marie Therese".
- Franz Ferdinand Karl Ludwig Josef of Austria, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria - Este Franz Ferdinand Karl Ludwig Josef German: Erzherzog von Osterreich - Este
- Archduke Joseph Arpad Benedikt Ferdinand Franz Maria Gabriel Hungarian: Habsburg Lotaringiai Jozsef Arpad 8 February 1933 30 April 2017 was a member
- The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir presumptive to the throne of Austria - Hungary, and his wife Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg
- 1627 1 November 1627 Archduke Balthasar Carlos, Prince of Asturias 17 October 1629 9 October 1646 Prince of Asturias Archduke Francis Ferdinand of
- 28 June 1914 was a Czech noble from the Bohemia. She was the wife of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. She was killed by Gavrilo Princip when he tried
- Emperor, it is the Austrian version of princess. The male version was Archduke of Austria. Archduchess was a reformed version of the Duchy of Austria
- was heiress of the two Duchies of Modena and Reggio. She was married to Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, son of Empress Maria Theresa of Austria in an attempt
- Teschen 1742 1798 Archduchess Maria Elisabeth of Austria 1743 1808 Archduke Charles Joseph of Austria 1745 1761 Archduchess Maria Amalia of Austria
- year that saw the start of what became known as World War I. June 28 Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Countess Sophie were assassinated